- Total time:
Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This delicious salad is loaded with grapefruit, oranges, almonds, pomegranates and shaved vegetables for a meal that tastes as fresh as it looks!
As we make our way through winter, there is nothing I crave more than some fresh greens. It’s as if my body is telling me “you must ingest this immediately.” I am more than happy to oblige in this because clean eating makes me feel so great and full of energy. This salad is packed with nutrients and is very easy to make!
Making Citrus Supremes
When eating salads, I like when the ingredients are easy to eat. Can you imagine getting a big bite of a grapefruit with the seeds and tough inner membrane? You would be chewing for days!
My way around this is to simply peel the citrus then slice in between the membranes giving you the perfect little citrus wedges. This is a great way to serve citrus on a salad.
How to Shave Vegetables
I’m not going to lie, thinly slicing vegetables on a mandolin can be a little scary. A simple workaround is to use your vegetable peeler. After all, you use it to shave the unwanted outside layer of a root vegetable, so why not apply that same technique throughout the entire vegetable?
You can shave anything, and for some reason, it always seems that vegetables take on a completely different flavor when cut or sliced in a unique manner. Just try it and you’ll see.
I wanted to add some protein to this shaved vegetable and citrus salad and the easiest way I know how to do so is to pan roast chicken on the cooktop.
- I start by heating up some oil over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
- Next, I add in my seasoned chicken and turn the heat down to medium.
- Then, I let the chicken cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked throughout.
- Finally, it’s time to slice and serve on my salad.
Serving the Salad
When it comes to serving salads, I like to fan out all of the ingredients on top so everyone who is enjoying it knows exactly what’s in it and can pick and choose their added toppings. There’s nothing worse than a pre-mixed salad and having a bunch of stuff in it that you can’t stand. In addition, I also think it looks really pretty this way.
Be sure to serve this salad with one of Heinen’s delicious vinaigrettes such as their Red Wine Vinaigrette or their Balsamic Vinaigrette. Here’s to a happier, healthier you in 2020.
Citrus Salad with Chicken and Shaved Vegetables
- 3 6-8 oz. Gerber’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 9 ounces Gotham Greens mixed medley greens
- 2 each green and ruby red grapefruit, supremed
- 2 oranges, supremed
- 2 celery stalks. thinly shaved
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly shaved
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly shaved
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- ½ cup raw almonds, halved
- Your favorite Heinen’s vinaigrette dressing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the citrus and peel and shave the vegetables. Set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Once the oil begins to smoke, add the seasoned chicken breasts and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Slice the chicken and set aside.
- Place the greens in a large serving bowl and evenly spread out the grapefruit, oranges, celery, carrots, fennel, pomegranate seeds, almonds and sliced chicken over top.
- Serve alongside your favorite Heinen’s vinaigrette.