The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Megan Weimer of Meg and Matcha.
In my world, there’s one cookie that brings about the nostalgia of the holiday season: a Classic Spritz Cookie!
Buttery, tender and yet, oh-so simple in flavor, these cookies prove that sometimes the most effortless treats offer the most joy.
This dough can easily be formed into a variety of festive shapes using a cookie press. And, because it wouldn’t be the holidays without cookie decorating, you can deck them out with sprinkles, icing and even color the dough with food coloring!
If they’re not already a staple on your holiday dessert table, these simple Spritz Cookies These will become a favorite of your family, guests and Santa himself!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 80 Small Cookies
- 1 cup (230g) Heinen's unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 1/4 cup (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment,
cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat on medium-high until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually mix in the flour and salt on low speed until fully combined. Add a few drops of food coloring to the dough, if desired.
- Fit a cookie press with a decorative metal plate by following the manufacturer’s directions. Then, scoop some of the cookie dough into the cookie press. Hold the cookie press perpendicular to the lined cookie sheet and press the cookies out, leaving about 2 inches between each. (If the cookie dough gets too warm while you’re working, chill the dough for a few minutes.)
- Add sprinkles to the cookies before baking so they stick. Bake each cookie sheet for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, decorate with cookie icing, if desired.