The recipes and photography for this post were provided by local blogger, Sally Roeckell of 365 Barrington.
Making steaks on the grill? Looking for the perfect beer pairing? Heinen’s has partnered with Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland, Ohio to brew a brand new, limited-time beer for Heinen’s 90th Anniversary. This new brew is called “Center Cut Lager” and pays tribute to Heinen’s 90 year history which started in the meat industry.
Inspired by the historic Bavarian style that gained popularity in Cleveland pre-prohibition, this toasty, full bodied lager is steeped in tradition and timeless craftsmanship. Pair Center Cut Lager with market-fresh meats and cheeses from your favorite neighborhood shop for a hearty, old-world experience.
What cut of steak is your go-to choice for grilling?
I have always preferred Ribeye. Today I did a little research about sirloin steak. I have long been of the opinion that sirloin steak was a lesser cut of steak. Because they’re on sale I asked Heinen’s butcher about cooking sirloin. He explained that, although some sirloin cuts are better suited for stews or fajitas, Heinen’s cuts a better quality, well-marbled, sirloin that they call their Sirloin Filet. I was slightly skeptical but was happily surprised when this cut of steak turned out to be tender, juicy and favorable. Total win.
I made these beautiful steaks with a rub of coffee, brown sugar and Heinen’s Two Brothers steak seasoning. It was delicious as-is but we LOVE chimichurri so I added this delicious herb mix to the top of our sliced sirloins. I also served it with my amazing potatoes. I don’t boast often but these potatoes are the BOMB! Instead of simply cutting and then roasting potatoes, I boil them first for just 5 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle I cut them into half or quarters and THEN roast them in 425° oven until the edges are brown and crispy. This extra step changes the starches so that the outside caramelizes and the inside is soft and smooth. Best roasted potatoes ever.
I used some of the steak to make a salad for my daughter and her friend for lunch. I started with a mix of baby arugula and baby spinach. I added steak, tomatoes, chimichuri, pecans and goat cheese and a drizzle of Heinen’s Balsamic Fig salad dressing. NEW FAVORITE!!!
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno, halved and seeds removed
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until all is coarsely chopped.
Sirloin Filet Steaks
- 2 tablespoons ancho Chile powder
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee beans
- 5 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoon Two Brothers Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more
- 4 sirloin Filets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix ancho Chile powder, ground coffee, brown sugar, paprika, steak seasoning and 1 Tbsp. salt in a small bowl.
- Season steaks with salt, then coat with oil then spice rub. Place on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill uncovered 3–6 hours.
- Grill on high heat for 3 minutes to sear. Turn to sear other side. Lower heat to medium and cook 4 minutes on each side. (Internal temp 120).
- Remove steaks and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.