The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Believe it! A meatless sausage breakfast sandwich is possible with the new plant-based sausage from Impossible Foods™. It cooks up just like regular sausage and tastes like the real deal. Look for it near the other Impossible™ products in Heinen’s frozen foods department.
This fun “copycat” version of the fast-food favorite is made more wholesome with a short list of simple ingredients, including Kodiak Cakes flapjack & waffle mix, Heinen’s organic pure maple syrup, Heinen’s cage-free eggs and Great Lakes American cheese, which you can find sliced fresh at the deli counter.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes whole wheat oat & honey flapjack & waffle mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Heinen’s organic pure maple syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1 package Impossible Sausage™, Savory
- 4 Heinen’s cage-free large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices Great Lakes American cheese
- Whisk together the Kodiak Cakes mix, water and maple syrup until smooth (batter will be thick).
- Heat a griddle or heavy pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour ¼ cup of the batter onto the griddle, using the back of a spoon to spread it into a 3-inch circle.
- Cook until lightly golden on both sides and repeat with the remaining batter to make a total of 8 hotcakes. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Remove the sausage from the packaging and shape into 5 or 6 3-inch patties (about ½-inch thick).
- Wipe out the skillet and set over medium heat. Once hot, spray the skillet with cooking spray and cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Whisk one egg at a time and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Wipe out the skillet and set over medium-low heat. Once hot, spray the skillet with cooking spray and pour in the beaten egg, rotating the pan to spread it into a thin layer, omelet style. Once set, flip the egg and cook until set on the other side.
- Fold in both sides, then fold up twice into a rectangle. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
- To assemble the McGriddles, top one hotcake with a slice of American cheese followed by a sausage patty, a folded egg and a second hotcake.