The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Bright and festive, this Cranberry Orange Ginger Pie is bound to be a showstopper on your holiday dessert table.
The cranberry curd is made from boiling cranberries, orange juice and ginger, combining with eggs and butter and baking shortly to set.
I decided to eliminate the typical straining step in making a cranberry curd to allow for the full flavor, nutrition and color of the cranberries to shine through. For a delicious and easy crust, I opted for a premade walnut crust, which I was so happy to find at my local Heinen’s. The nuttiness and chewiness of the nut crust perfectly complement the smooth, tart curd. To top it all off, I suggest serving with a dollop of homemade whipped cream to round out all the flavors. Enjoy!
- 1 premade 9-inch crust, such as Diamond Nuts Walnut Crust
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries, plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- Crystallized ginger, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 12 oz. cranberries, orange juice and zest, 1 cup sugar and grated ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until all cranberries have popped and mixture has thickened. Transfer to blender, and puree until very smooth. Let cool slightly. Clean saucepan.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly add a small amount of cranberry mixture into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Continue to slowly add cranberries and whisk until completely combined.
- Return mixture to cleaned saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drop the butter into cranberry mixture a few pieces at a time, continuing to stir to melt butter and thicken. Let cool slightly.
- Pour curd into premade pie crust and smooth. Cook for 10 minutes to set curd. Let cool to room temperature, and store in refrigerator before serving.
- For garnish, roll damp cranberries into remaining sugar. Top the pie with sugared cranberries and crystallized ginger. Serve with fresh whipped cream.