The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Bright and festive, this Cranberry Orange Ginger Pie is bound to be a showstopper on your holiday dessert table.
The cranberry curd is made from boiling cranberries, orange juice and ginger, combining with eggs and butter and baking shortly to set.
I decided to eliminate the typical straining step in making a cranberry curd to allow for the full flavor, nutrition and color of the cranberries to shine through. For a delicious and easy crust, I opted for a premade walnut crust, which I was so happy to find at my local Heinen’s. The nuttiness and chewiness of the nut crust perfectly complement the smooth, tart curd. To top it all off, I suggest serving with a dollop of homemade whipped cream to round out all the flavors. Enjoy!
- 1 premade 9-inch crust, such as Diamond Nuts Walnut Crust
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries, plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup Heinen's fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- Crystallized ginger, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 12 oz. cranberries, orange juice and zest, 1 cup sugar and grated ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until all cranberries have popped and mixture has thickened. Transfer to blender, and puree until very smooth. Let cool slightly. Clean saucepan.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly add a small amount of cranberry mixture into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Continue to slowly add cranberries and whisk until completely combined.
- Return mixture to cleaned saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drop the butter into cranberry mixture a few pieces at a time, continuing to stir to melt butter and thicken. Let cool slightly.
- Pour curd into premade pie crust and smooth. Cook for 10 minutes to set curd. Let cool to room temperature, and store in refrigerator before serving.
- For garnish, roll damp cranberries into remaining sugar. Top the pie with sugared cranberries and crystallized ginger. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.