The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Heinen’s new line of organic artisan dried pasta is a showstopper with it’s beautiful packaging and incredible quality!
It has become a staple for me when looking to try new simple spins on traditional pasta to keep things exciting during the busy work week. My Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Orecchiette with Chicken Sausage is a mouthful to say, but a breeze to toss together. It will quickly become a favorite in your household like it has in mine.
You can roast the chicken sausages in the oven while you work on the sauce and by the time the chicken sausage is cooked through, you have an incredibly filling dish to bring to the table in 30 minutes.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. mild chicken sausage links
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced (3 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 Divina Roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pasta, water reserved
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Lay chicken sausages on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through.
- Boil water for the orecchiette, and cook according to package. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining to help thin the sauce later.
- In a shallow Dutch oven, or deep sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté the garlic and shallot with butter until fragrant and slightly translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir for 30 seconds to cover the shallot and garlic.
- Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir for a few minutes as the sauce thickens.
- Add the cheeses and stir together until the sauce is creamy and smooth. If it is too thick, add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to thin.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the drained orecchiette and stir to coat the pasta evenly in the sauce.
- Plate with the sliced chicken sausages and enjoy.