The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
This Deconstructed Waldorf Salad is a bright, light and flavorful dish to serve at the holidays, or to a crowd.
While a typical waldorf salad is mixed together prior to serving, I opted to arrange all of the beloved ingredients in rows to allow guests to construct their own creation. It also creates a beautiful presentation!
Featuring diced chicken, greens, apples, grapes, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, celery, pears, fresh herbs and a creamy dressing, your guests will love this delicious seasonal salad!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 1 6 oz. package of greens (spinach, kale or arugula)
- 4 oz. package bleu cheese, crumbled
- 1 lb. Gerber’s CARE Certified chicken breasts or tenders, cooked, cooled and diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 pears, cored and diced
- 2 apples, cored and diced (one red and one green)
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
For the Dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds (optional)
- Cook and chop the chicken breasts. Set aside to cool.
- Layer the greens on the bottom of a serving platter.
- Arrange the salad ingredients on top starting with the chicken in the middle and working outwards. Add the bleu cheese, pine nuts, pomegranate arils, apples, dried cranberries, celery, grapes, pears, walnuts and the parsley and chives on the outer edges.
- In a large Mason jar or salad dressing container, mix together the salad dressing ingredients. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the salad on the platter with individual plates so guests can construct their own salad with their desired amount of dressing.