- Total time:
The following recipe and photography for this post were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Temperatures are dropping and visions of this hot cocoa board are dancing through my head. Nothing beats a cup of hot cocoa after shoveling snow or hanging holiday lights outside. This hot cocoa spread is the perfect way to be inclusive to all guests! From children to those that prefer non-alcoholic drinks, to those who want to add a “little something” to spice things up, this is the best way to customize the hot cocoa experience. Be ready for audile gasps when your guests see this masterpiece at your next gathering. It is a whimsical addition that transports you to the North Pole!
This hot cocoa bar is great on its own, but to make it even better, I suggest whipping up a batch of my homemade whipped cream infused with Cinnamon, Vanilla and Maple.
Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board Must-Haves
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix ( see recipe below)
- Cinnamon, Vanilla and Maple-Infused Whipped Cream ( see recipe below)
- Marshmallows (A variety of shapes, sizes and flavors are encouraged.)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Mini Powdered Donuts
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels and pretzel Rods
- Candy Canes
DIY Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dry milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Instructions for Making
- Using a sifter, sift the cocoa powder, sugar and dry milk into a large bowl.
- Add the salt, and whisk all ingredients together until the cocoa powder is fully combined.
- Layer 1/4 cup of the cocoa mix at a time, sprinkling a few chocolate chips in between each layer in a mason jar.
Instructions for Serving
- Pick your liquid. I typically offer hot water, milk or a non-dairy alternative.
- Add 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. of hot cocoa mix to a mug. Pour in the hot liquid and give it a good stir!
- For the adults, feel free to spice things up with a dash of liquor!
Cinnamon, Vanilla and Maple-Infused Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Cinnamon Vanilla Maple Syrup
- With a handheld mixer, whisk together all of the ingredients for 3-5 minutes until the whipping cream has thickened significantly and formed soft peaks.
- Store in an airtight container, in the fridge until you are ready to serve.