The following photography was provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Sneak in an extra serving of vegetables (and cut down on prep time) by swapping pizza dough for mushrooms!
Portobello mushroom caps make for perfect mini pizzas. Top with jarred sauce, traditional or plant-based shredded cheese and your favorite toppings for a healthy meal that’s ready in 15 minutes!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Mini Pizzas
For the Portobello Pizzas
- 4 Phillips Gourmet large potrobello mushroom caps
- 2 tsp. Heinen's olive oil
- Rao’s homemade pizza sauce
- Heinen’s shredded mozzarella or Violife plant-based mozzarella shreds
- Heinen's Italian seasoning
- Heinen's pepperoni
- Sliced Kalamata olives
- Heinen's roasted red peppers
- Heinen's canned artichoke hearts
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the broiler.
- Using a spoon, remove the stems and scrape out the brown gills of mushrooms. Brush the tops of the mushrooms with olive oil.
- Broil the mushrooms, top side up, for 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to shrink slightly. Remove the pan from oven and carefully flip mushrooms.
- Top each mushroom with 1-2 Tbsp. of pizza sauce, 2 Tbsp. shredded cheese and your desired toppings.
- Return the mushrooms to broiler for 3-4 more minutes, or until cheese melts.