The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
There is nothing better in the fall than roasted vegetables in a delicious green salad.
This Fall Harvest Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing is a mixture of kale and spinach, roasted butternut squash, beets, Heinen’s halved brussels sprouts (for a time-saving shortcut!), carrots and red onion, sweet local apples, dried cranberries, pomegranate arils and goat cheese.
The maple tahini dressing is a mixture of SoCo tahini, Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup and Heinen’s fresh squeezed orange juice, which results in a sweet and nutty dressing that pairs beautifully with the fall elements in the salad.
I like to serve this salad as a side at a holiday gathering, or as a hearty and healthy lunch or dinner. It is the perfect mixture of fall flavors in one salad.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 1 package Heinen's halved brussels sprouts
- 1 package Heinen's cubed butternut squash
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 medium beets or 4 small beets, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 apple of choice, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
For the Maple Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup SoCo Tahini
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (you may need two trays).
- Cut the ends off of the beets and scrub each beet well. Dice the beets into small pieces.
- Add the butternut squash, brussels sprouts, beets, red onion and carrots to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, salt and pepper to the vegetables and mix well.
- Spread the vegetables and squash evenly on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the kale to a medium-size mixing bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and massage with your hands for two minutes to tenderize the kale.
- Add the kale to a large salad bowl. Add the spinach, apple, pecans, dried cranberries, pomegranate arils and goat cheese.
- Once the vegetables are done roasting, let them cool, then add them to the salad.
- Blend all the salad dressing ingredients together until smooth.
- Drizzle the tahini dressing over the salad and gently toss. Serve immediately.
TIPS: This salad doesn’t hold up well as leftovers. I you aren’t eating it right away I would put the roasted vegetables and the goat cheese on the side until you are ready to serve.
This salad also works nicely as a warm salad with the warm vegetables added in once they are out of the oven.