- 1 1/2 cups
- one 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- dash of sweet paprika for serving
- In the bowl of a food processor or Vitamix®, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for one minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds until well-blended.
- Open, drain and rinse the chickpeas. At this time, if you want to crush the chickpeas in your hand slightly to loosen and remove the skins you will have a smoother hummus. It will not change the flavor, only the texture. The effort can be well worth the end product.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for one minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth – 1 to 2 minutes. Your hummus will be slightly thick so, to create an excellent texture and consistency, with the food processor running add one to 3 tablespoons of water slowly as it processes. You will see the consistency change.
- Serve the hummus in a dish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling of paprika.