- Total time:
The following recipe and photography for this post were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
This is a delightful twist on Chinese takeout that is simple to make! Crispy, pan-fried tofu is tossed in a sweet and spicy General Tso’s sauce and paired with a flavorful quinoa fried rice for a playful and healthy fast food favorite made in the comfort of your own kitchen! Made in under 45 minutes, which is less time than it takes to get takeout delivered, this dish makes enough to feed a family of five, but I cannot guarantee that there will be leftovers.
General Tso’s Tofu & Quinoa Fried Rice
For the Quinoa Fried Rice
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. chives or green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
For the Tofu
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2-1 cup General Tso’s Sauce
Note: Prior to cooking, remove tofu from package and firmly press the tofu between paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove any excess water. You can place the tofu on a plate with a kitchen towel and heavy dish on top to do the work for you, too!
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring organic quinoa, water and garlic to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer add the lid. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Slice dried tofu into any shape you desire. ( strips or cubes)
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and spices.
- Coat the tofu evenly in the cornstarch and spice mixture. Shake off any excess.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, coat pan with a drizzle of olive oil and add tofu. Watch carefully, rotating the tofu as each side becomes golden brown.
- Once all sides are golden, coat the tofu with General Tso’s sauce, toss to coat and remove from heat.
- In a large, clean sauté pan over medium-high heat, add a few tsp. of olive oil. Add the carrots and onions and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Next, add the quinoa from step 1, chives, vinegar, sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Push the quinoa to the side of the pan and crack three eggs into the open side of the sauté pan. Whisk the eggs together to scramble. Once scrambled, stir into the fried rice.
- Remove from heat and stir in the frozen peas.
- Serve this dish individually or family-style. I like mine topped with finely chopped chives, sriracha for added heat and sesame seeds for crunch!