The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Are you ready to send your taste buds into outer space? Well, this appetizer is out of this world!
Assembled on a slice of fried, pecan-crusted mozzarella, these flavorful stacks are topped with freshly sliced avocado and grapefruit and finished with an herby jalapeño drizzle.
Together, you’ve got a sweet, nutty, fatty, tart, spicy and herbaceous blend that will quickly become a show-stopping staple in your appetizer repertoire.
Whip up this recipe to brighten a cold winter day or add it to a spring brunch menu. You will not be disappointed!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Stacks
- 2 grapefruits, segmented
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1 log of mozzarella cheese, sliced in 1/4” circles
For the Fried Mozzarella Dredge
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
For the Herby Jalapeño Drizzle
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 - 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice, squeezed from segmented grapefruits
- In a food processor, blend the pecans until they are a fine “sand-like” texture. Add to a bowl with the panko and mix well.
- To a second bow, add the flour.
- In a third bowl, whisk three eggs.
- Coat both side of the mozzarella slice in flour, followed by the egg and finally the pecan-panko mixture.
- Once all of the mozzarella slices are dredged, it is time to fry!
- Warm 1/4” of vegetable oil over medium heat in a deep sauté pan.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the pecan-crusted mozzarella slices, 1 minute per side.
- Place fried mozzarella slices onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet to soak up any excess oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- While the mozzarella slices are cooling, place all of the ingredients for the herby jalapeño drizzle into a food processor and blend into a thin dressing. If not using right away, store in an air tight container for up to four days in the fridge. It is delicious on tacos, steak, fish and salads.
- If serving as a side dish, overlap the pecan-crusted mozzarella, avocado slices and grapefruit wedges until the plate is full. Finish with the herby jalapeño drizzle over top.
- If serving as an appetizer, build the stack vertically starting with the pecan-crusted mozzarella, followed by sliced avocado, grapefruit segments and lastly, the herby jalapeño drizzle.
Note: A classic panko breading can be used in place of pecans for the fried mozzarella; however, the pecans have a nuttiness that pairs beautifully with the grapefruit!