Lava Lake Lambs graze freely on wild grasses and flowers, resulting in the most delicious, tender and flavorful meat you’ll ever taste from lamb… it’s only here for a short time and you’ll only find it in the Heinen’s Meat Department.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Lava Lake butterflied leg of lamb, 2.5-3 lbs, fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large bunches of kale, de-stemmed and chopped into thin slivers
- 4 cups finely sliced purple cabbage
- 2 cucumbers, cubed
- 8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Toss cubes of lamb with marinade in a resealable container or zip-top plastic bag. Make sure all cubes are well coated. Place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight to allow flavors to marry.
Preheat broiler and position oven rack 4-6 inches from heating element. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil or coat with non-stick spray.
Place lamb cubes on tray. Broil cubes for 5 minutes. Remove tray from oven and pour out any accumulated liquid. Turn lamb cubes to ensure even cooking and broil 3-5 minutes further until browned, has golden edges and internal temp reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Tip: skewer several cubes onto thermometer probe for accurate temperature reading.
Toss all salad ingredients together in large bowl. Add lamb cubes (delicious warm or chilled) and enjoy.