The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Top of the mornin’ to ya!
Leprechauns may be small, but I discovered one of their secret recipes and oh boy, is it big on flavor!
To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day effectively, you need a balanced meal to start the day. This festive breakfast / brunch features sliced green peppers filled with fried eggs and topped with a fresh carrot salsa! When the bell peppers are sliced into rings, they resemble four leaf clovers. One bite and you’ll be wondering how you got so lucky!
There is no gold at the end of this rainbow, just carrot salsa, but don’t be disappointed, this stuff is worth its weight in gold! In addition to fresh carrots, I grabbed a pack of NatureFresh ombre cherry tomatoes, which feature red, yellow and dark red vine-ripened tomatoes. They add so much color and life to any dish! I’ll be trying it on fish tacos next!
This is a perfect recipe to place atop your favorite hash browns or toast. English muffins have my heart, and when I saw Heinen’s had their own, I could hardly contain my excitement! They are loaded with nooks and crannies from edge to edge, making them the perfect resting place for drippy yolks and creamy melted butter. You can find them stocked by the butter, and they’re also available in multigrain!
Let’s create our own luck!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 6 ( 2 Rings Per Person)
For the Peppers and Eggs
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 package Heinen’s CARE Certified thick cut bacon, optional
- 12 Heinen’s cage free eggs
- Heinen’s English muffins
For the Carrot Salsa
- 2 large carrots, shaved
- 1/2 cup NatureFresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 Tbsp. diced jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Cook the bacon according to your preferred method. You can skip this step, but the bacon grease will be used as the fat for cooking later. If you choose not to make the bacon, sub the bacon grease for butter.
- Slice the bell peppers into ½-inch rings. Remove any seeds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the carrot salsa. Mix well and set aside until ready to serve.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat and add a Tbsp. of bacon grease or butter. Add the bell pepper rings and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip the peppers and cook for another two minutes.
- Crack an egg into the center of each pepper ring and top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover for three minutes. After three minutes, check to see if the egg whites have set. If so, remove the pepper rings from the skillet.
- To serve, place each egg pepper ring over a buttered English muffin. Top with two Tbsp. of the carrot salsa and fresh cilantro. Serve alongside the cooked bacon.
- If desired, add cheese, pickled, onions or your favorite hot sauce.