The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Who could resist a peanut butter & jelly sandwich? Personally, I’m more of a peanut butter and honey gal, but when I do use jelly, I always go for strawberry.
My mom used to make me peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for school lunches nearly every day, and I never got tired of them.
These days, I’m all about bagels, specifically everything bagels. I’m forever a sweet and savory girl, so so this grilled peanut butter & jelly on an everything bagel is my jam, or should I say jelly.
There’s not much to this recipe. I simply grilled the bagels in butter in a cast-iron skillet and used a spatula to press them down on both sides and then cut them in half.
You can use whatever jelly or marmalade you crave. I went a little extra and sautéed a cup of chopped strawberries in 1/4 cup brown sugar, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of corn starch. I highly recommend doing the same if you have the time. It makes this new spin on PB&J even more gourmet.
Not a fan of everything bagels? Rye or pumpernickel would be amazing too!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Peanut Butter & Jelly Bagels
- 2 everything bagels
- Unsalted butter
- Peanut butter of choice
- Jelly or marmalade of choice
For the Homemade Jelly
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- If making strawberry jelly from scratch, add chopped strawberries, brown sugar, lemon juice and corn starch to a saucepot and cook until the strawberries reduce and thick sauce forms. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Add a few pads of butter to a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Split the everything bagels in half and place in the skillet.
- Use a spatula to press the bagel slices down on both sides.
- Remove the bagel slices from the skillet and cut each slice in half. The bagels will now be in 8 quarters. This will make them easier to eat.
- Layer the desired amount of peanut butter and jelly on four of the bagel quarters. Top with the other four bagel quarters.