The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Looking for a quick and delicious dinner for busy weeknights? Look no further than these Grilled Skirt Steak Gyros with creamy tzatziki sauce!
Made with Heinen’s tender, juicy CARE Certified skirt steak and stuffed with fresh veggies, these gyros are the perfect balance of savory and refreshing. Made in only a few simple steps, they’re an easy and hassle-free meal option that you can whip up in no time.
So, fire up the grill and get ready to enjoy a satisfying dinner that’s sure to please everyone at the table!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. Heinen's extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Heinen's paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Heinen's coriander
- 2 tsp. Heinen's dried thyme
- 2 tsp. Heinen's dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Heinen's dried parsley
- 1 tsp. Heinen's chili powder
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lb. Heinen's CARE Certified skirt steak
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 Heinen's pita pockets
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Greens (romaine or spinach)
- Fresh dill
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon, coriander, thyme, oregano, parsley and chili powder. Add the Greek yogurt and stir until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl or Ziploc bag, add the skirt steak, red onion and bell pepper followed by the yogurt marinade. Coat the steak in the marinade. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours, or grill right away if you’re short on time.
- Preheat the grill to high heat and brush the grates with oil, if needed.
- Remove the steak and vegetables from the marinade (discard any extra marinade).
- Grill the steak for 3 minutes per side for medium-rare (130˚F) doneness, or 4-5 minutes per side for medium doneness.
- While the steak cooks, grill the vegetables until they are just tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the steak and vegetables from the grill and cover with foil. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing the steak against the grain into thin strips.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add the diced tomatoes and cucumber. Mix well. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Stir and set aside.
- Divide the steak between four pita pockets.
- Add the grilled vegetables, tzatziki, tomato, cucumber, greens and dill. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve.