The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
You’d never know that these delicious Grilled Tofu and Mushroom Skewers are totally plant-based and vegan friendly!
Tofu, mushrooms, onions and green peppers are marinated in a balsamic and soy sauce-based glaze and grilled to perfection. These skewers are perfect for a healthy summer barbeque, or an easy weeknight grilled dinner.
This healthy meal is best served over a big salad filled with fresh produce from Heinen’s. Using extra firm tofu in this recipe is key – it helps keep the tofu from falling apart on the grill.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Skewers
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 lb. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 white onion, cut into squares
- 2 green peppers, cut into thick squares
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 cup fresh microgreens
- 1 cup mixed greens
- Diced cucumbers, for serving
- Diced tomatoes, for serving
- Drain tofu and dry with a towel. Cut into 1-inch squares and gently toss with corn starch in a bowl.
- Combine tofu, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix ingredients well and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- After marinating, alternate tofu, mushrooms, peppers and onions on grill-safe skewers.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked, but not overly charred.
- Serve skewers over a large salad with microgreens, mixed greens, cucumbers and tomatoes.