The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
If you like your margaritas a little spicy, add a few Hatch chiles from Heinen’s Produce Department.
Grown in Hatch, New Mexico and available at Heinen’s for a short time every summer, these spicy peppers are the ideal seasonal replacement for jalapenos in a spicy margarita.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It features a Hatch chile simple syrup. Making simple syrup at home it extremely easy. It simply requires boiling a few ingredients, letting them steep together and straining them into an airtight jar. Since Hatch Chiles are seasonal, make a big batch of this Hatch chile simple syrup to enjoy it in cocktails year-round.
- You can add extra heat with Heinen’s spicy mango habanero seasoning. Located in the spice aisle, this unique seasoning blend adds the perfect amount of color and heat to the rim of a cocktail glass. Feel free to use traditional salt or sugar on the rim for less spice.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Hatch Chile Simple Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Heinen's brown sugar
- 2 Heinen's cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. Heinen's ground coriander seed
- 3 Heinen's bay leaves
- A palm full of Heinen's tri-colored peppercorns
- 1 large whole Hatch chile, seeded (if desired) and chopped
For the Margarita
- 3 oz. Hatch chile simple syrup (see above)
- 2 oz. silver or blanco tequila
- Juice of 2 limes
- Heinen's mango habanero seasoning, for the rim
- Limes, sliced for garnish
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Add all of the simple syrup ingredients to a saucepan and bring the mixture to a low boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it steep for an hour.
- Pour the simple syrup through a strainer into a lidded container.
- In a shaker, add ice, 3 oz. of the simple syrup, 2 oz. of tequila and lime juice. Shake vigorously.
- Rim a cocktail glass with lime juice and the mango habanero seasoning.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour the margarita overtop.
- Add a few cut lime wedges and garnish with mint.