This recipe and photos were provided by Sally Roeckell of Table and Dish and were originally published at 365Barrington.com.
Heading to a tailgate or game night and need a quick and easy appetizer? How about a classic American cheese and beer dip? It’s easy to throw together and can be served hot or cold. October is American Cheese Month, a celebration of North America’s delicious and diverse cheeses and the farmers, cheesemakers, retailers, cheesemongers and chefs who bring them to your table. Heinen’s cheese section is full of tasty selections. Don’t hesitate to ask for help! The associates at Heinen’s know their products and will be happy to help you select just the right cheeses for your recipe or charcuterie board.
What goes best with cheesy beer dip? Cold beer, of course!
American Cheese & Beer Dip
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or cubes (white cheddar is also good)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of beer (pale for a light sweet flavor or a dark ale for more robust, bitter flavor)
- For a kid friendly-version, replace the beer with apple cider.
- Blend cheeses and seasonings in food processor until well combined.
- Slowly add beer and continue processing.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour. Serve cold as a spread or warm as a dip.
- If you want to serve this dip warm, simply whisk constantly in a small saucepan over low heat or bake in a cast iron skillet or oven proof dish at 375°F until cheese dip is warm and heated through.
- Just before serving add the bacon and scallions to the top.
- Serve with your favorite cracker or pretzel. Enjoy!