The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
In my opinion, the best way to elevate a classic treat is by making it at home, and this quick, homemade hot chocolate mix is so easy and customizable!
Made from only five pantry staple ingredients, I recommend whipping up a big batch and storing it in a large jar in the pantry to enjoy as the chill of winter sets in. You can also scoop the homemade mix into smaller jars to give as gifts and customize each container with marshmallows, cinnamon or even some chili powder for a little kick!
Now, while I love hot chocolate straight from the mug, the great thing about this mix is that it can be used to enhance other sweet foods, like Rice Krispie Treats and popcorn! Check out how it’s done below!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Extra Large Mason Jar
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½ cups powdered milk
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. salt
For the Classic Hot Chocolate
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to a large airtight container to store in the pantry, or small jars to give as gifts.
- When ready to use, combine 2-3 Tbsp. of the mix with 8 oz. of hot water or milk.
- Garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows and/ or your favorite spices.
For the Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Use the standard recipe on the Rice Krispie box and add ½ cup of hot cocoa mix to the melted marshmallows and butter.
- Add the cereal and stir until fully combined.
- Once off of the heat, add a handful or two of extra mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and seasonal sprinkles, if desired.
For the Hot Chocolate Popcorn
- Pop the popcorn in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a few Tbsp. of butter and a dash of salt.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and sprinkle 3 Tbsp. of the hot chocolate mix while it is still hot.
- Add chocolate chips and marshmallows while it’s warm, if desired.
- Toss to combine and allow to cool. Enjoy immediately or package into baggies to give as gifts.