The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
Inspired by a warm cup of hot cocoa on a winter’s night, these cookies utilize actual hot cocoa mix, cocoa powder and two types of chocolate chips for intense chocolate flavor.
I topped them with marshmallows, my favorite hot cocoa topping, to fully emulate the drink in cookie form. The marshmallows are added at the very last minute of baking to help the marshmallows maintain their shape and prevent them from melting. I used all Heinen’s brand ingredients when making these cookies, and you can really taste the quality in every bite- especially the divine chocolate combination of mini semisweet chocolate chips and larger milk chocolate chips. Enjoy with a warm cup of cocoa for the perfect festive dessert!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- ½ cup (1 stick) Heinen’s butter, softened
- ½ cup Heinen’s brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. hot chocolate mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heinen’s milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, hot chocolate mix and cocoa powder. Mix 1 minute on low speed and 2 minutes on high speed, scraping the bowl as needed to ensure ingredients mix well.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix 1 minute on low speed until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix 1 minute on low speed.
- Add mini chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Mix 30 seconds on low speed.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough into 11/2 – 2 tablespoon-sized pieces and place on parchment paper with 2 inches between each cookie.
- Using kitchen shears, cut individual mini marshmallows in half. Set aside.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 F. Gently press three mini marshmallow halves on top of each cookie. Return to oven and cook for 1 minute at 350F.
- Remove from oven and let rest on cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.