The following recipe and photography was provided by Impossible Foods™.
Spicy and plant-based, this Chinese-inspired meal is perfect for vegetarians or those looking to swap a few meatless meals into their dinnertime repertoire.
Made with fresh tofu, Impossible™ Burger and a zesty sauce, it’s nearly impossible not to love this flavor-packed dish!
Impossible™ Mapo Tofu
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 package Impossible™ Burger
- 790 grams medium firm tofu
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. spicy chili bean sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Szechuan peppercorn
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Soak tofu in salted water for 20 minutes. This will keep the texture of the tofu firm. Rinse and pat dry. Cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Mince the spring onion, ginger and garlic.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add Szechuan peppercorn and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove from heat, discard the Szechuan peppercorns and set aside the Szechuan pepper oil for later use.
- Using the same frying pan, sauté minced garlic and ginger with 4 Tbsp. of oil over medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Crumble in Impossible™ Burger and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned.
- Add the spicy chili bean sauce and stir fry the ingredients until fragrant.
- Add rice wine and soy sauce and stir well.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil.
- Add diced tofu, cover and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. of water. Remove the lid and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate and pour the prepared Szechuan peppercorn oil over the tofu.
- Top with spring onion and serve immediately.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.