The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte of The Bite Size Pantry.
Have an “egg’cellent” start to any morning by biting into this Kale, Feta and Poached Egg Toast! As we strive to lead healthy lifestyles, it’s important to focus on incorporating healthy meals and snacks into your everyday routine. To set yourself up for daily success, start by adding this healthy breakfast to your morning menu!
This recipe features greenhouse grown Buckeye Fresh tender leaf kale tossed in Garlic Expressions vinaigrette on top of double decker Brown Berry whole wheat toast with Heinen’s garlic and herb whipped cream cheese, red beets and a delicate, perfectly poached Heinen’s Organic Cage-Free Egg.
Sprinkled with Heinen’s feta cheese and a dash of organic red pepper flakes, this hearty and wholesome breakfast can be enjoyed morning, noon or night.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 eggs, poached
- Buckeye Fresh tender leaf kale
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Expressions dressing
- 15 oz. can sliced red beets, drained
- 7.5 oz. Heinen’s garlic and herb whipped cream cheese
- 4 oz. Heinen’s crumbled feta cheese
- Dash of Simply Organic red pepper flakes
- Bring a pot of water to a low boil. Make sure there is enough water to fully submerge the eggs. Once boiling, add 2 Tbsp. of white vinegar.
- Crack the eggs into separate ramekins or shallow bowls. This helps to keep the yolks and egg whites intact and makes it easier to gently drop the eggs into the boiling water.
- With a spoon, create a whirlpool in the boiling water by stirring the water in a circular motion.
- Drop on egg in the center of the whirlpool. Continue to gently stir the water in a circle, being careful not to disturb the egg.
- After 4 minutes, remove the egg and place it on a paper towel to dry. Repeat the above steps with the second egg.
- While the second egg is poaching, toast the whole wheat bread.
- Stack two slices of toast on top of each other. I like to use two slices because it allows more surface area for the runny egg to soak into, making the toast less soggy.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese over the top layer of toast, then layer slices of red beets on top.
- De-stem each branch of kale and place the leafy bits into a small bowl along with the Garlic Expressions dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale to soften the leaves.
- Add the kale on top of the layer of beets and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Finish by placing a poached egg on top with a dash of red pepper flakes.