The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen and was inspired by Heinen’s Chief Dietitian, Melanie Jatsek, RD,LD.
This Homemade Kale Pesto with Roasted Cod is a great way to get in your healthy fats and greens without sacrificing flavor! My signature kale pesto is so delicious and only takes 5 minutes to prepare.
Can I Use Frozen Cod?
Absolutely! I love frozen fish just as much as fresh. As long as you buy quality fish (which are all of the fish options available at Heinen’s), it will taste the same! To thaw frozen cod, place the fish in the fridge overnight. To instantly thaw, run the cod under cold water until it is no longer frozen.
Can Pesto Be Made Nut-Free?
Of course! You can skip the nuts completely if you have a nut allergy. It will make the sauce a little thinner; however, it will taste just as delicious!
Can Pesto Be Made Dairy-Free?
Yes, but do note that Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano is naturally lactose free due to the aging process. However, if you are completely dairy-free, this recipe can be modified by substituting the parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast, a common dairy-free alternative. It gives dishes a chees flavor without using real cheese.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Cod
- 4 wild-caught cod filets, fresh or frozen
For the Kale Pesto
- 3 cups kale leaves, loosely packed
- ½ cup toasted nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews, pine nuts and macadamia nuts)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh herbs
- Place the nuts in the air fryer or oven at 350°F for 6-8 minutes.
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Pat the cod dry with paper towels.
- Add the filets to a non-stick or foil-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp. of pesto on each filet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145°F at its thickest point.
- Drizzle the remaining pesto on top, along with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and fresh herbs, if desired.
- Serve with your favorite roasted veggies and whole grains.