Kitchen Tip: How to Make Deviled Eggs
The following video, photos and tips were provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Deviled eggs are a staple appetizer at many gatherings, and while they often get a bad rap for being labor intensive, I am here to show you just how easy they are to make at home with my fool-proof hard boiling and filling methods!
How to Hard Boil Eggs
- Carefully add eggs to a pot of boiling water. Use tongs to ensure they don’t hit the bottom and break.
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, turn off the heat, add the lid to the top of the pot and let them sit of another 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot and drain the hot water.
- Shock the eggs by adding cold water and ice cubes to the pot. Let the eggs cool in the ice water for 3-4 minutes.
- Once cooled, bring the pot over to a cutting board and, working one egg at a time, gently roll the all the way around to crack the shell. The shell will come right off with ease.
- Once all of the eggs have been shelled, place them back in the cold water to rinse off any excess shell.
How to Make Deviled Egg Filling
- Place the shelled eggs back onto the cutting board and slice them in half long ways.
- Add the yolks to a medium-size bowl by gently flexing and pushing the bottom of the egg whites.
- Using a fork, mash the egg yolks until they reach a crumb-like consistency.
- Add mayonnaise, yellow mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon or a whisk, combine the ingredients together until smooth.
Two Methods for Assembling Deviled Eggs
- Using two spoons, push the filling right into the cavity of the egg whites.
- If you want to be a bit fancier, pipe the filling into the cavity of the egg whites using a piping bag with a large tip. This is my preferred method as I believe it is easier and looks better.
How to Serve Deviled Eggs
- Arrange the filled deviled eggs on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
Super easy to make and incredibly delicious, deviled eggs will be your new go-to dish to serve for any special occasion.