This post is a part of Heinen’s Kitchen Tips and Techniques series designed to give everyone the skills and confidence they need to make any recipe. Videos, photographs and descriptions were provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Today I’m going to show you how easy it is to make perfect deviled eggs every single time. They are incredibly delicious!
Maybe the most difficult part about making deviled eggs is perfecting the technique of hard boiling the eggs. I have a full-proof method.
How to Hard Boil Eggs
- Carefully add eggs to a pot of boiling water. I like to use tongs to ensure that my eggs don’t hit the bottom and break.
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes.
- After this time, turn the heat completely off, add the lid to the top of the pot and continue to boil for another 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot and drain the hot water.
- Shock the eggs by adding cold water and ice cubes to the pot. Let the eggs cool in the ice water bath for 3-4 minutes.
- Once cool, bring the pot over to a cutting board and, working with one egg at a time, gently roll the all the way around to crack the shell. The shell will come right off with ease.
- Once all of the eggs have been shelled, place them back in the cold water to rinse off any excess shell.
How to Make Deviled Egg Filling
- Place the shelled eggs back onto your cutting board and slice them in half long ways.
- Add the yolks into the medium size bowl by gently flexing and pushing the bottom of the egg whites.
- Using a fork, mash the egg yolks until they reach a crumb-like consistency.
- Add mayonnaise and yellow mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon or a whisk, combine and mash ingredients together until smooth.
Two Methods for Assembling Deviled Eggs
- Using two spoons, push the filling right into the egg whites.
- If you want to be a bit fancier, pipe the filling into the egg whites using a piping bag with a large tip. This is my preferred method as I believe it is easier and ends in a nicer presentation.
How to Serve Deviled Eggs
- Arrange the filled deviled eggs on a nice platter.
- Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
Super easy to make and incredibly delicious, deviled eggs will be your new go-to dish to serve for any special occasion.