The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Lemon Lava Cakes are the perfect dessert to celebrate citrus season, and they come together so easily! With just a few ingredients and one pan, it’s possible to create a refreshing restaurant-quality dessert right at home.
The trick to perfecting these personal-size citrus cakes is to use a jumbo muffin pan. Once the cakes are baked, you’ll gently run a spatula along the sides of the pan to loosen the cakes. It’s very important to do this carefully so the filling does not escape. Then, gently flip the cakes upside-down and top with whipped cream and powdered sugar to create the classic Lava Cake in your own kitchen.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 6 Lava Cakes
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup Heinen’s powdered sugar, plus more for serving
- 3 large Heinen’s cage free eggs
- 3 large Heinen’s cage free egg yolks
- 1/3 cup lemon curd
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Grease a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and unsalted butter together for about 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar, eggs, egg yolks, lemon curd, vanilla and salt. Whisk well, then gently fold in the flour.
- Divide the lava cake batter between the cups in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the tops of the cakes are set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife or spatula along the sides of each muffin cup to loosen the cakes.
- Gently place a baking sheet or large cutting board on top of the muffin tin. Carefully flip and remove the muffin tin.
- Top the lava cakes with whipped cream and powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: For a shortcut, use a premade lemon curd or preserve of your choice to fill the cakes.