The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
In many sweet and savory recipes, olive oil plays a supporting role, but it is promoted to the star of the show in this summertime confection!
Light, fluffy and significantly more moist than traditional butter-based cakes, this Mediterranean-inspired olive oil cake is a refreshing treat featuring subtle nutty and fruity notes. If you like the taste of olive oil, you’ll fall in love after the first bite.
Topped with a simple homemade honey meringue, the delicate balance of flavors and textures in this dessert will have everyone believing you’re a pro baker!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Cake
- 2/3 cup (150g) Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup (36g) Bob’s Red Mill arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 Heinen’s large cage free eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup Heinen’s honey
- ¼ cup Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- ¼ cup yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tsp.), plus more for the topping
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice ½ tsp. sea salt
For the Meringue
- 3 Heinen’s cage free egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ cup Heinen’s honey
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with olive oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, add the eggs and honey. Use a stand or hand mixer to beat until the mixture become pale and fluffy. Add the olive oil, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Beat to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in thirds and beat until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Gently tap it against the countertop to smooth the surface. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let cool slightly in the pan, about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to release it from the pan. Carefully invert to unmold and flip it back over onto the cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a stainless steel bowl, combine the egg whites, honey and salt.
- Fill a saucepan with a few inches of water and bring it to a simmer. Set the bowl with the egg white mixture over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the simmering water. Stir continuously with a spatula, scraping down the sides occasionally, until the mixture reaches 176°F (80°C).
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the mixture at high speed until it becomes foamy and glossy. Add the lemon juice and beat to combine.
- Pile the meringue on top of the cooked cake and use the back of a spoon to make a swirl pattern.
- Scatter the lemon zest over top. Slice and enjoy.