The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Add a pop of freshness to a classic appetizer line-up with these Lemon Pepper Baked Wings! They’re perfect for the Big Game and couldn’t be simpler to prepare. This recipe doubles down on lemon flavor by using a bold lemon pepper seasoning in the rub and topping off the baked wings with a zesty sauce made with fresh lemon juice and zest.
The keys to deliciously crispy baked chicken wings include patting them dry with paper towels, using baking powder in the rub (no joke!) and cooking them at a high temperature on a baking rack. For extra crispy wings, you can broil them for a minute or two at the very end.
Be sure to purchase Gerber’s CARE-certified chicken party wings for this recipe, which are whole wings that have been conveniently cut into drumettes and paddles.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. Lawry’s lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 ½ Tbsp. baking powder (not baking soda)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 3 lbs. Gerber’s CARE Certified chicken party wings
- Heinen’s olive oil spray
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ packed tsp. fresh lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
- Lemon slices, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil and set a baking rack on top. Spray the baking rack with a generous amount of nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- In a small dish, mix together the lemon pepper seasoning, baking powder and paprika. Set aside.
- Using paper towels, pat the chicken wings dry, then transfer them to a large Ziploc bag. Add the seasonings, seal to close and toss until well-coated.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer on the baking rack. Coat with an even layer of the olive oil spray.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- While the wings bake, whisk together the melted butter, lemon juice and zest and salt to taste.
- While still hot, brush the wings with the lemon butter sauce. Transfer the wings to a serving platter and garnish with lemon slices. Serve with additional sauce on the side, if desired.