The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Never underestimate the power and versatility of squash! Bursting with sweet, earthy flavor when roasted, these seasonal gourds make the perfect featured ingredient for fall meals and appetizers.
I took the appetizer route with this recipe and dressed Heinen’s fresh baguettes with a roasted delicata squash puree, ricotta cheese and the most indulgent maple cayenne bacon crumble. Sweet, salty and creamy, this crostini is a crowd-pleasing addition to any fall gathering.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12 Crostini
For the Crostini
- Heinen’s baguette, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- Fresh thyme
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
For the Delicata Squash Puree
- 2 delicata squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1/4 cup Heinen’s organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For the Maple Cayenne Bacon
- 1/2 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified medium sliced bacon
- Heinen’s maple syrup
- Cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Toss the diced delicata squash with a drizzle of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 30-45 minutes on a baking tray until tender.
- While the squash roasts, cook the bacon. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the bacon on top. Brush the bacon with maple syrup and top with a light dusting of cayenne. Add the bacon to the oven when there is about 25 minutes remaining in the roasting time for the squash. Let cool before chopping.
- Add the roasted squash, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, olive oil, onion and garlic powder to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Place the baking tray under the broiler of the oven for no more than 2 minutes. The edges of the baguette slices should be golden.
- Smear a layer of ricotta cheese on each toasted baguette slice.
- Spread a dollop of the delicata puree on top of the ricotta.
- Add the chopped bacon.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a drizzle of maple syrup.