The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen.
If you’re a fan of sweet and savory, this chicken dinner will be a winner to you!
When it comes to comfort food, carbs tend to reign supreme; however, it’s well known traditional bread, rice and pasta lack nutrition. Thankfully, there are better-for-you alternatives at your local Heinen’s that deliver ample nutrition without compromising the satisfying texture.
Quinoa is a great example! Although it’s technically a seed, quinoa is generally identified as a whole grain, making it a great source of fiber, which can help moderate cholesterol and blood sugar levels. High in antioxidants and full of plant-based protein, it has a carb-like consistency similar to rice.
I think we’ve all eaten a plate of chicken and rice at least once in our lives. It’s an easy meal that covers a few food key food groups and is generally favored by everyone at the table.
This dish is a healthier spin that features pan-seared chicken in a creamy coconut-based sauce that’s flavored with sweet pure maple syrup and savory Dijon mustard.
Served on a bed of nutrient-dense quinoa and fresh greens, this dish comes together in the same amount of time it takes to make classic chicken and rice, but offers significantly more nutritional value.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Smart Chicken breasts
- 3 cups mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup Heinen's pure organic maple syrup
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- Fresh greens, to serve
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the ghee to a skillet over medium heat. When the ghee melts, add the chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pan sear the chicken for 3 minutes, then flip and add the onions.
- Sauté the onions for 2 minutes while the chicken continues cook, then add the mushrooms, coconut milk, Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Continue to simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- Serve the chicken and creamy coconut sauce over a bed of quinoa and fresh greens.