The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
These marinated mozzarella pearls are true gems when preparing flavorful appetizers and snacks!
Did you know that September is the season for mozzarella? I had no idea, but now that I do, I could not pass up the opportunity to create something delicious with my favorite creamy cheese!
I love mozzarella and I also love charcuterie, so this recipe combines the best of both worlds! BelGioioso has been crafting deliciously decadent mozzarella pearls for decades – they’ve been a staple on my charcuterie boards for years. To up the ante for fall entertaining, I marinated them in a bath of olive oil and flavorful add-ins including tomatoes, basil, stuffed olives, crushed red pepper flakes and more!
The result was a jar full of heavenly cheesy bites that are delicious on crostini crackers or a seasonal charcuterie board!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 20 Mozzarella Pearls
- 5 gm. BelGioioso mozzarella pearls
- 1 ½ cups Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil
- ¾ Heinen’s garlic-stuffed olives, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s organic crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s organic dried oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Add half a cup of olive oil to the bottom of a lidded jar.
- Add half of the mozzarella pearls to the olive oil.
- In separate layers, add half of the sliced tomatoes, half of the sliced olives and half of the sliced shallot. Sprinkle half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, oregano and fresh basil over top, along with half a tablespoon of minced garlic.
- For the basil, it’s easiest to roll three leaves and cut into thin slices with kitchen shears.
- Press the layers down with the back of a spoon and add another half cup of olive oil over top.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 and top with the remaining olive oil.
- Add a sprig of fresh rosemary to the center of the layers, pushing it down into the center of the jar.
- Close the airtight lid and place the jar in the fridge for at least 6 hours for the flavors to saturate the mozzarella pearls.
- Use on top of Heinen’s rosemary and olive oil crostini chips for a light snack or sharable appetizer.
- These will keep for up to 1 ½ weeks in the fridge.