The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Megan Weimer of Dollop of Dough.
For some of us, meeting the recommended dose of daily greens can be tough, but what if I told you that you cold eat at least some of your greens in the form of a delicious dessert!
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, dreams really do come true because this sweet bread calls for matcha powder, which happens to be a green your body loves!
You may be familiar with matcha from the infamous green lattes sold at your favorite coffeehouses, but matcha is beloved for more than just it’s vibrant color. Derived from green tea leaves, matcha powder contains loads of antioxidants and offers a wide assortment of health benefits. While the amount of matcha included in this recipe is somewhat small, it plays a big role in the boosting the overall color and nutritional value of this homemade bread.
Found in the Wellness Department at Heinen’s, I recommend grabbing a container of matcha powder to add a boost to your baking and beverage adventures.
Quick to make and sweet to eat, this gluten-free bread also features almond flour, almond milk and almond extract. Topped with a creamy almond-flavored glaze, the earthy green tea flavor and eye-catching color is sure to excite your taste buds when you’re in the mood for something sweet!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 Slices
For the Matcha Almond Bread
- 1 1/4 cups (154g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (72g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (113g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. matcha powder
- ¾ cup (220g) Heinen's almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup, 113g) Heinen's unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
For the Almond Glaze
- ½ cup Heinen's powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free all purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and matcha powder.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the almond milk, eggs, melted and cooled butter, vanilla extract and almond extract until the eggs are well incorporated.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then fold gently with a rubber spatula until the batter is just combined with no streaks of flour remaining.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 45-48 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring it to a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool completely before topping with glaze.
- To make the glaze, add the powdered sugar, almond extract and almond milk to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled bread.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the bread into 8 pieces and enjoy.