The recipes and photography for this post were provided by local blogger, Sally Roeckell of 365 Barrington.
Looking for a foolproof way to start your day on the right note? This protein-packed combination of egg and hummus will do the trick. Perfect for a breakfast on the go. Pita pockets make a great vehicle for all these delicious ingredients. Eggs, feta, arugula, cucumber, tomato and za’atar combine to make a fresh, nutritious breakfast with a Mediterranean twist. Today I used Maplebrook Smoked Feta Cheese. The smokey flavor added a delicious element to this flavor line-up. This couldn’t be easier. Pita pockets make everything portable. Just fill it and go. Hard boiled eggs are also fast, easy and portable protein.
Making the Perfect Egg
How do you make them? I learned the best strategy on a trip to France. I grew up putting the eggs in the cold water, bringing it and the eggs to a boil and then allowing it to boil far too long. This created a completely cooked and lifeless hard boiled egg. I learned that the best method is to gently place the room temperature eggs into boiling water and let them cook for 7 minutes, then drain and run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking process. This results in a smooth, creamy and flavorful egg.
Mediterranean Breakfast Pitas
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 whole-wheat pita breads with pockets, cut in half
- 1/2 cup hummus (4 ounces)
- 4 ounces crumbled Maplebrook Smoked Feta Cheese
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 medium tomatoes, large dice or 12 grape tomatoes
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves and baby arugula
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs za’atar (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Gently place your room-temperature eggs in the water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain the water and run the eggs under cold water to cool.
- Peel the eggs and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and set aside. Spread the inside of each pita pocket with 2 tablespoons of hummus.
- Place crumbled Feta, arugula and a few cucumber slices and some diced tomato into each pita.
- Tuck 1 sliced egg into each pita and sprinkle with za’atar.