- Total time:
The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Mediterranean Chicken is not your typical chicken dinner. Chicken thighs are marinated in a yogurt-based marinade with rich, warm spices, lemon juice and fresh herbs.
The chicken is baked until tender and juicy and finished off with fresh parsley, feta cheese and paired with lemon parsley orzo. Your family will love this protein-packed, healthy meal that is also easy to make!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
For the Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of chicken thighs
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
For the Lemon Parsley Orzo
- 1 cup orzo (use whole wheat for a healthier dish)
- 16 oz. of vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Use a long cutting board and lay your chicken thighs out in a row. Generously season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place into two 9×13 baking dish or a large cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Brush the sauce over the front and back sides of the chicken thighs.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken thighs reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the chicken is baking boil broth (or water) to cook the orzo according to the package instructions. Once the orzo is done cooking, drain and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley and feta cheese and serve over the lemon parsley orzo. Enjoy!
Tip: For extra crispy skin on your chicken thighs, brown the chicken in a cast-iron skillet or regular skillet, skin side down, for about 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Then transfer them into the oven and bake.