The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
These Mediterranean-inspired Crumbled Tofu Tacos are perfect for those who observe Lent, or for anyone trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet.
Similar in taste and texture to traditional taco meat, but completely meatless, Cleveland Tofu, located in Heinen’s Meat Department, is crumbled and coated in Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil and Heinen’s seasonings and spices, then baked in the oven until crispy.
Once crisped to your liking, simply add the tofu crumbles to a tortilla and top with your favorite Mediterranean ingredients, like feta cheese, an easy tomato, cucumber and red onion salsa and some fresh parsley and green onion.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 16 oz. Cleveland Tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Heinen's extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. Heinen's paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Feta cheese, for garnish
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Green onion, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the paprika, oregano and garlic powder.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, crumble the tofu using your hands. Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and the spice mixture. Mix to coat the tofu.
- Spread the tofu on a baking sheet.
- Bake the tofu in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the tofu is slightly browned and crispy. Use a spatula or spoon to mix halfway through.
- Adjust the cook time up or down depending on your desired texture.
- While the tofu cooks, combine the tomatoes, cucumber and red onion in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and the lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and spoon it into the tortillas.
- Top the tacos with the tomato salad, feta cheese, fresh parsley and green onions.
- Store the leftover tofu in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
Note: Other Mediterranean-inspired ingredients that would great in these tacos include artichokes, olives, dill, fresh basil, roasted red peppers, bell peppers or radish.