The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
The best way to ensure a smooth day ahead, at least for your hunger, is to eat this Mermaid-inspired smoothie bowl for breakfast!
Smoothies are a great way to load up on fruits and veggies which, by nature have many of the essential vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feel full and healthy. I personally enjoy smoothies because they can be eaten on-the-go, but when I have the time to sit down and eat breakfast, whether it’s at the kitchen table or at my desk, I always opt for a smoothie bowl because it allows me to add an assortment of flavorful and healthful toppings that just can’t be enjoyed through a straw.
This particular smoothie bowl is one of my favorites, especially in the winter when things feel bleak. Made from a blend of coconut milk, oats, chia seeds, frozen fruits and veggies and maple syrup for sweetness, the real star of the show is spirulina powder! Known as a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and antioxidants, the addition of spirulina powder gives this smoothie it’s nautical, mermaid-like color and gives your body the fuel it needs to feel it’s best.
For me, the toppings are always the best part of the smoothie bowl because it allows for creativity! I like adding fresh fruit and wholesome cacao nibs and hemp seeds for a little added crunch, but feel free to top your bowl with whatever tastes good to you!
Let’s dive into this recipe!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Smoothie
- ¾ cup Heinen’s coconut milk
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 Tbsp. Navitas Organics chia seeds
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen zucchini
- ½ cup Heinen’s frozen mango
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. spirulina powder
- ¼ banana, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mango chunks
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flakes
- ½ tsp. Navitas Organics hemp seeds
- ½ tsp. Navitas Organics cacao nibs
- Add all of the smoothie ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more maple syrup, if needed, to reach your desired sweetness. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with banana, mango, coconut flakes, hemp seeds and cacao nibs or any other toppings you enjoy.