The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Baklava is one of those desserts that I could easily eat an entire tray of and regret nothing. It’s just so addicting.
Prior to creating this recipe, I had never made baklava because, like most people, I found it very intimidating. But, when I heard that Heinen’s was bringing in a selection of wines from the Mediterranean, I knew that I had to find a way to recreate the same flavor and texture of this sweet regional treat without all of the labor intensive steps.
I think I finally cracked the code and the secret ingredient is premade phyllo cups from Heinen’s Frozen Department.
This is a one mixing bowl, one baking tray, one dirty spoon kind of recipe, and it only takes 5-7 minutes for the magical golden bites to come to life in the oven.
If you’re interested in trying Heinen’s new Mediterranean wines, consider these Mini Baklava Cups the ideal pairing!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 cup honey roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup honey roasted pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts
- 3/4 cup Heinen's freshly ground walnut butter
- 1/2 cup honey, plus more to reach desired consistency
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 15 count packages phyllo cups
- Extra honey and sea salt, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pulse all of the nuts in a food processor for about 30 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the nut mixture with all of the remaining ingredients, except for the phyllo cups and toppings. Add more walnut butter or honey if the mixture is too dry. The final mixture should be wet and sticky to touch and easy to scoop.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Add the phyllo cups. The tray should fit about 20-30 cups. Remember, the phyllo cups are already cooked, so they’re onky being placed in the oven for a short time so the filling can warm.
- Using a teaspoon, divide the nut mixture amongst the phyllo cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Drizzle the cups with honey and a little more sea salt. Enjoy!