The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
These mini cakes will turn any frown upside-down!
There are so many reasons to love summer, but the fact that stone fruit comes into season takes the cake for me. Nothing beats the refreshing flavor of a ripe, juicy peach, and while they’re perfect for snacking, they’re equally delicious in baked goods, like these Mini Upside-Down Cakes.
Made in muffin tins and topped with fresh peach slices, these moist, tender treats are surprisingly easy to make and impressive to serve at any summer gathering.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1½ fresh peaches, 1 peach diced and ½ peach sliced
- 1 Tbsp. flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup (150 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (112g) almond flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- A pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- ½ cup Heinen’s coconut oil, divided, plus more for greasing
- ¼ cup oat milk
- 1½ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with coconut oil. Add ½ tsp. of coconut oil into each cup. Arrange the peach slices on the bottom of each cup.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Use your fingers to break up lumps of almond flour, if necessary.
- In another bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the thickened flax mixture, maple syrup, remaining 6 Tbsp. of coconut oil, oat milk and almond extract. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the diced peaches.
- Divide the batter over the peach slices in the prepared muffin tin. Flatten the surface. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the pan for about 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the cakes to release them from the pan. Place a cooling rack over the cakes and turn the pan upside-down to release them from the muffin tin. Let cool completely.