Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s contributor, Courtney Holsworth of A Life From Scratch. Recipe adapted from Ina Garten.
Oh boy, do I have an awesome summer dessert to share with you! I have been making this Mocha Ice Box Cake for years. This is an Ina Garten recipe that could not be more simple to throw together.
It’s also perfect for the dead of summer when the temperature is super hot or if you have something to celebrate… even if it’s just Tuesday night!
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 12 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liquor, such as Kahlua
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 packages of Tate's Bake Shop chocolate chip cookies (regular or gluten free)
- Shaved chocolate, for garnish
- In an electric mixer, combine all ingredients through vanilla and whisk together for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- In an 8-inch springform pan, cover the bottom with a layer of cookies. (Break cookies to help fill cracks. It doesn’t have to be perfect.)
- Plop a few hearty spoonfuls of the whipped mixture on top and spread with a knife. Repeat these steps for additional layers. I usually end up with four layers.
- Wrap cake in foil or plastic wrap and allow to set in the fridge – the longer the better. (I try to let it set overnight).
- When ready to serve, shave some chocolate on top, if desired. Serve chilled.