For the Asian Salad with Cashews and Mandarin Oranges:
For the Vinaigrette: 2 teaspoons of finely grated ginger
3 cloves of finely grated garlic
1 tablespoon of grainy mustard
1 tablespoon of sugar
2/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup of sherry vinegar
¼ cup of soy sauce
2 1/2 cups of canola or grapeseed oil
For the Salad: 2 heads of chopped red leaf lettuce
¼ each red and green heads of cabbage, thinly shaved
1/2 cup of matchstick carrots
½ julienne red bell pepper
½ sliced cucumber
½ cup of mandarin oranges
½ cup of cashews
2 tablespoons each chopped green onions and cilantro
For the Soy-Balsamic Marinated Strip Steaks and Vegetables:
2 cups of leftover soy-balsamic vinaigrette
2 12-ounce strips steaks
2 each sliced zucchini and yellow squash
2 seeded and thickly sliced red bell peppers
1. Vinaigrette: Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Reserve ¾ for a marinade or another usage.
2. Salad: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and serve alongside soy-balsamic vinaigrette.
3. For the Strip Steak & Veggies: Place the steaks in a plastic bag and pour have of the marinade over top. Seal the bag and move around to ensure vinaigrette completely coats the steaks.
4. Next, place the vegetables in a plastic bag and pour have of the marinade over top. Seal the bag and move around to ensure vinaigrette completely coats the steaks.
5. Marinate the steaks and vegetables for at least 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat the grill to high heat (450° to 550°).
7. Remove the steak from the bag and place directly on a hot grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes and then add on the vegetables.
8. Flip the steak over and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes to achieve a medium-rare internal temperature.
9. Flip over the vegetables and for 2 to 3 more minutes or until they are cooked and have grill marks.
10. Remove the food from the grill and serve. Optional garnish: chopped parsley.