For the Chili con Carne with Beans:
8 slices of bacon, chopped
2 seeded and small diced red bell peppers
3 peeled and small diced yellow onions
3 finely minced cloves of garlic
2 seeded and small diced ancho chile peppers
3 pounds of trimmed and small diced beef chuck roast
1 28-ounce can each of crushed and diced tomatoes in juice
1/3 cup of chili powder
1/3 cup of cumin
¼ cup of dry oregano
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 ounce of bitter sweet chocolate
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
optional: 4 16-ounce cans of Heinen’s bean blend, drained
optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese
For the Loaded Chili Cheese Nachos:
1 large bag of corn tortilla chips
1/2 gallon of chili con carne with beans
8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 small diced Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup of sliced scallions
other optional toppings: sour cream, pickled nacho jalapeños and sliced black olives
1. In a large pot over medium high heat add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Set the crispy bacon aside and add the peppers, onions, garlic and chile peppers to the pot of rendered bacon fat and cook over high heat for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Next, add in the beef and cook until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Add in the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and simmer over low heat for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Finish with salt and pepper, cinnamon and chocolate.
5. Fold in optional 3-bean blend and serve with optional toppings: sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese.
6. Add the corn tortilla chips to a large oven safe plate or bowl, or sheet pan.
7. Top off with the chili and cheddar cheese. You can heat it up in the oven at this point to brown and melt the cheese if desired.
8. Next, top off with tomatoes, scallions, and optional toppings: sour cream, pickled nacho jalapeños and sliced black olives.
9. Serve hot!
Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi l Click here to print this recipe