For the Corned Beef and Cabbage:
3 pounds corned beef brisket + spice packet
1 gallon of water
7 carrots, cut into 1” pieces
½ peeled and large diced yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1 pound of red potatoes
1 head of cabbage, cut into wedges
For the Reubens:
1 cup of mayonnaise
¼ cup of ketchup
¼ cup of small diced bread and butter pickles
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
¼ peeled and finely minced yellow onion
1 small diced hard boiled egg
1 pound of sliced or chopped cooked corned beef
16 slices of rye bread
16 slices of Swiss cheese
28 ounce can of sauerkraut, drained
1 stick of unsalted butter
Worcestershire and Tabasco Sauce to taste
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. For the Corned Beef and Cabbage: Add the brisket, spice packet and water to a large pot and simmer over low heat for 90 minutes.
2. Next, add the remaining ingredients, add the top to the pot and simmer on low for another 90 minutes.
3. Slice the brisket against the grain and serve with cooked vegetables.
4. In a medium size bowl combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, vinegar, onion, egg, and Worcestershire, Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste to make a 1,000 island dressing. Keep cool until ready to serve.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large sauté pan over low heat until melted.
6. Next, add 2 slices of bread to the pan and cook until crisp and browned, about 2 minutes.
7. Flip the bread over in the pan and add 2 ounces of corned beef, ¼ to 1/3 cup of sauerkraut, 2 slices of Swiss cheese and 2 tablespoons of the 1,000 island dressing and once the other sides of the bread are toasted place one slice on top of the other, cut in half and serve.
8. Repeat the process until all of the ingredients are gone.