Add seasonal fare to both breakfast and dessert. These delicious, homemade recipes feature the much-loved fall flavors of pumpkin and apple butter.
For the Pumpkin Bread Sandwich:
3 pounds peeled and medium diced assorted apples
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 cup each of light brown sugar and sugar
1 cup of water
½ cup of apple cider vinegar
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1 pound of bacon
2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
ground pepper to taste
For the Pumpkin Bread:
1 ½ cups each of light brown sugar and sugar
1 ½ cups of canola oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla
3 cups of canned pumpkin
4 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
2 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
1 ½ tablespoons of baking powder
For the Pumpkin Bread Pudding:
1 loaf of pre-made pumpkin bread cut into 1” squares
8 egg yolks
½ cup of sugar
1 quart of ½ and ½
vanilla ice cream
1. Apple Butter: Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-size pot and stew over medium heat for 2 hours.
2. Puree using a hand mixer until smooth. Chill completely.
3. Bacon: Add the bacon to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and evenly sprinkle on the brown sugar and pepper.
4. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until crispy brown. Set aside.
5. Bread: In a standing mixer add the sugars and oil and mix on high speed with the whisk attachment until combined.
6. Add in 1 egg at a time and then add in the vanilla.
7. Next, add in the remaining ingredients and mix over medium speed until combined.
8. Divide the batter into 2 9×5 loaf pans and bake at 350° for 60 minutes or until firm in the center.
9. Cool to room temperature.
10. To Plate: Slice the bread and add on crispy bacon, apple butter, and optional fried eggs and shredded gruyere cheese. Serve!
11. For the Bread Pudding: Preheat the oven to 350°.
12. Add the bread to a 13×9 casserole pan and set aside.
13. In a medium-size bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and ½ and ½ until combined.
14. Pour the mixture over top of the bread in the casserole pan and bake 350° for 60 minutes or until firm.
15. Serve with vanilla ice cream and heated apple butter.
Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi l Click here to print this recipe