Wow your guests with Sweet Honey-Pineapple Glazed Ham, then use the leftovers for a savory ham & bean soup.
For the Sweet Honey-Pineapple Glazed Ham:
9 pound bone-in ham
1 ½ cups of pineapple juice
½ cup of crushed pineapple in juice
¼ cup of honey
1 tablespoon each grainy and Dijon mustard
For the Ham and Bean Soup:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 peeled and small diced large yellow onion
4 finely minced cloves of garlic
5 each sliced carrots and stalks of celery
1 each peeled and medium diced large turnip and russet potato
4 cups of medium diced cooked ham
2 ½ cups dry bean blend
1 gallon of chicken stock
1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary
4 cups of packed baby spinach
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Sweet Honey-Pineapple Glazed Ham: Preheat the oven to 375°
2. Place the ham in a roasting pan on a rack lined with foil and cover the pan completely with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. In the meantime, whisk together the pineapple juice, crushed pineapple, honey, brown sugar and mustards in a medium size pot over low heat until combined. Keep warm.
4. Remove the ham from the oven and uncover with foil. Discard the foil.
5. Cut 1” inch squares all over the ham using a sharp knife.
6. Glaze the ham and return to the oven at 400° for 45 minutes.
7. Glaze the ham every 15 minutes until it is done cooking.
8. Add the ham to a platter, garnish, glaze and serve.
9. For the Soup: Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
10. Once brown add in the carrots, celery, turnip, potato, ham, bean blend and chicken stock.
11. Simmer over low heat for 45 to 60 minutes or until the beans are tender.
12. Add in herbs and salt and pepper.
13. Add the baby spinach right before serving.
14. Optional: Garnish with shredded fontina cheese and parmesan cheese and serve.
Recipe created by Chef Billy Parisi l Click here to print this recipe