The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen.
The late summer/ early fall weeks are the season for mushrooms and if there’s one place to celebrate, it’s at Heinen’s.
Heinen’s takes great pride in carrying a wide assortment of everyday and exotic mushrooms for you to explore and enjoy. If you’re new to cooking with mushrooms, ask a knowledgeable Heinen’s Produce Associate to walk you through the selection to find what’s best for your taste preferences and recipes, like this egg-free Mushroom Tofu Breakfast Scramble. It is so delicious and very easy to make!
Does it Matter What Kind of Mushrooms I Use?
You can use any package of mushrooms you prefer from Heinen’s Produce Department. Simply make sure they are washed and chopped.
What is the Best Way to Clean Mushrooms?
Mushrooms naturally carry a lot of dirt. I always wash them one-by-one, then use a paper towel to remove any extra dirt. It is totally normal for there to be some dirt on them prior to cleaning.
How Long Does this Dish Last?
You can enjoy this dish for up to 5 days in the fridge. It is also freezer friendly, so pop it in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to a month.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Tofu Mushroom Scramble
- 1 Tbsp. ghee, olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (any variety), chopped & washed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped and washed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 8 oz. package non-GMO extra firm tofu (Cleveland Tofu or Nasoya Tofu)
- ¾ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup baby kale, chopped
- Nutritional yeast, for cheesy flavor
- Green onions
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley
- Over medium heat, preheat a skillet and add the ghee or cooking oil.
- Once melted, add the sea salt, black pepper, shallot, pepper, garlic, kale, and mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze any excess water out of the tofu.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan with the sautéed veggies and sprinkle the turmeric and nutritional yeast on top.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with green onions, red pepper flakes and fresh parsley, if desired.
- Serve warm.