The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
You don’t have to be a baker to create delicious and beautiful confections in your own kitchen, in fact, these Coconut Cups require no baking at all!
That’s right! A quick blitz in the food processor and chill in the freezer is all it takes to bring these sweet treats to life.
When I think of spring foods, my mind always goes immediately to coconut. It’s light flavor, color and texture just seem to resemble the season so well. For this recipe, I recommend using unsweetened coconut, as the cups get plenty of sweetness from Medjool dates, Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup and cacao powder.
Layered in a muffin tin and finished with a drizzle of melted chocolate and flaky sea salt, these better-for-you single serve treats will rival any of your favorite traditional spring desserts in both taste and nutrition.
Start spring on a sweet and healthy note by serving these cute cups at your next seasonal gathering.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Base Layer
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1½ Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s almonds, roasted
- 3 Tbsp. Navitas Organics cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Coconut Layer
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts, roasted
- 2 ¼ cups Let’s Do Organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup Heinen’s chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s coconut oil
- Let’s Do Organic unsweetened coconut flakes, for garnish
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Place a strip of parchment paper in each cup of a 6-cup muffin pan, ensuring that there is some overhang.
- Add all of the ingredients for the base layer to a food processor and blitz until the mixture forms a sticky dough. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Transfer the dough into each cup of the prepared muffin pan and press to flatten.
- Clean the food processor and add all of the ingredients for the coconut layer. Blitz until the mixture forms a loose dough. Divide the dough into each cup of the muffin pan and press. Freeze for 1 hour to set.
- Add the chocolate chips to a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Remove the coconut cups from the pan by pulling up the strips of parchment paper.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate overtop. Top with coconut flakes and flaky sea salt. Enjoy immediately or wait until the chocolate is set.