These no bake Lemon Poppy Seed Donut Holes make for a great snack or dessert. They are naturally sweetened, vegan friendly and gluten free. Best of all, they taste great and can be made in less than 30 minutes or so. That’s a win-win in my book!
No Bake Lemon Poppy Seed Donut Holes
Makes approx. 18 donut holes
Vegan, Gluten Free, Naturally Sweetened
For the Donut Holes
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw walnuts or cashews (can use one or the other, or mix 50/50)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (plus more for topping)
- 1 juiced lemon (approx. 4 tbsp)
- 2 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (local, if possible!)
- For a added fiber and healthy fats, mix in chia seeds
- For added protein, mix in unsweetened/unflavored protein powder
- For an extra crunch, add 1 tbsp coconut shreds into the glaze OR grounded oatmeal into the donut hole mixture
- Add pitted dates to a food processor and blend until ball forms. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add raw nuts, almond flour and coconut flour to the food processor. Blend until a fine meal is achieved. (If you have decided to use protein powder or oatmeal, add it in now.)
- Place the blended dates back into the food processor along with lemon zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds and vanilla extract. Blend until dough forms. *If it’s too sticky, add more coconut flour. (If you have decided to use chia seeds, add the seeds in now.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out 1 1/2 tbsp amount of dough and roll into balls. Transfer to the freezer and freeze for 10 minutes.
- While the donut holes are in the freezer, prepare the glaze by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- After 10 minutes, remove the donut holes from the freezer and one at a time, dip into glaze. Transfer back to freezer and freeze for 10 additional minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and dip again. You can repeat this process as many times as you prefer to coat the donut holes before the glaze runs out. (2-3 times is good.)
- Add to freezer to chill one last time (about 10 minutes). Store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted and inspired by: Minimalist Baker