The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
We’ve all heard of breakfast for dinner, but what about breakfast for dessert?
With the summer sun shining bright, I find myself craving ice cream on a regular basis. If you peruse the ice cream aisle at Heinen’s, you’ll quickly realize that there are hundreds of ways to enjoy this delicious frozen treat. From sandwiches and bars to pints full of unique flavors and even plant-based options, how can you possibly choose? While I highly encourage you to try as many of the ice creams from Heinen’s as your taste buds can handle, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, stick with a classic ice cream sundae.
Often featuring vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, cherries and nuts, this classic dessert is sure to satisfy any sweet summer cravings, but don’t let the traditional formula of ingredients stop you from getting creative with other items you have on-hand.
As I was rummaging through my freezer, I found a bag of Good Food Made Simple’s original pancake puffs. I bought these hand-crafted Belgian-style pancake bites as an easy grab-and-go breakfast, but what I realized is that their fluffy texture would be delicious alongside cold and creamy vanilla ice cream. It almost resembles the classic cake and ice cream combo, and I love that using them in this recipe allows me to stretch the item past its original purpose.
Layered in a glass with Heinen’s locally made vanilla ice cream, a homemade chocolate sauce packed with antioxidant-rich cacao and tahini and fresh seasonal cherries for topping, these pancake puffs make ice cream much more fun!
Not into making your own chocolate sauce? No problem! Heinen’s has a wide assortment of gourmet and big name brand options available near the ice cream freezers.
Grab a spoon and let’s dig in.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Chocolate Sauce
- ¼ cup Navitas Organics cacao powder
- ¼ cup Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup oat milk
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s tahini
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Ice Cream Sundae
- 1 bag Good Food Made Simple original pancake puffs
- Heinen’s vanilla bean ice cream
- Reddi-wip non-dairy coconut whipped cream
- Fresh cherries
- Heinen’s almonds, toasted and chopped
- Navitas Organics cacao nibs
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cacao powder, maple syrup, oat milk, tahini and salt. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add 1-2 additional tablespoons of oat milk. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let cool.
- Cook the pancake puffs according to the package instructions.
- In a glass, arrange the pancake puffs and scoops of ice cream.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the ice cream and pancake puffs and top with the whipped cream, cherries, almonds and cacao nibs.
Note: Store leftover chocolate sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. The sauce becomes firm quickly, so heat it on the stove or in the microwave when ready to use again.