The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
As you may already know, Heinen’s fresh ground peanut butter is a true obsession of mine. I cannot get enough of the creamy texture and fresh peanut flavor!
This recipe is a great way to bake with Heinen’s peanut butter and add some wholesomeness to a classic Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie.
Fresh ground nut butter, as with other natural peanut butters, tends to separate more readily than processed peanut butters, so I incorporated an additional egg yolk to this recipe to help emulsify the oils. The result is a chewy cookie with intense, rich peanut flavor.
The use of a hand mixer enables these cookies to come together quickly in one bowl, but a stand mixer could also be used. After the cookies are baked, they are immediately topped with a dark chocolate Hershey’s Kiss®. The sophisticated chocolate flavor complements the peanut butter deliciously. Enjoy!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 36 cookies
- ½ cup Heinen’s fresh ground peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) Heinen’s butter, softened
- ¾ cup Heinen’s brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 36 Hershey’s Kisses® brand special dark chocolate, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, combine Heinen’s fresh ground peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and ¼ cup granulated sugar. Using a hand mixer, whisk on low speed until combined, then whisk on high speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix on low speed until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Place the remaining 2 Tbsp. of granulated sugar in a small bowl. Scoop dough pieces into 1 ½-inch balls and roll between your hands to smooth. Roll the dough balls in granulated sugar. Place on top of ungreased baking trays, allowing 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are light golden brown. The cookies will be puffed and still light on top.
- Immediately place Hershey’s Kisses® in the center of each cookie, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to let cool.